Monday, March 27, 2023

March UFO Challenge

 Last month I mentioned I was going to use Bon Appetit with Ash as my March UFO challenge. I didn't count on finishing Ash as quickly as I did. Then with Project Quilt and trying to make progress on Aunt Daisy I was planning on ignoring the actual March UFO I was supposed to work on...the crumb blocks I made last October.

I looked at the blocks a couple of weeks ago and just couldn't think of a design/pattern that I liked. Twelve 6 inch blocks don't make a very interesting quilt unless you can figure out a way to make it bigger. This past week I saw pictures on Facebook of two table topper / wall hangings that I really liked that I thought would work.

I sewed up the original quilt top Saturday and even added the first border.


It didn't look like the original picture. A bit blah and too busy. Soooo....Sunday morning I took it apart and fixed it.


Not a big change but I think it really made a difference. I added a couple more borders and finished it late last night. It finishes about 34 inches square. I think it will make a great wall hanging for my hallway. I probably won't do any fancy quilting as it is so busy and has some really thick seams. For now, it too is going in the to-be-quilted closet.

I finished up the Aunt Daisy white triangle in a square blocks. 


This block is going to be huge! I still have another 192 blue triangle in a square blocks to make! They are all cut out but sewing them together is slow and fussy.

I decided the single layer cake was not going to make enough blocks for the Kira quilt so I ordered another layer cake by Moda Basic Gray. Not the same line but I think they will play nicely together. I created a test block with the pieces I cut wrong.


Easy! I think I'm going to like making this quilt.



1 comment:

Rose said...

You have been busy! I love what you did with the crumb blocks. If anyone else read my comment, let me suggest that you right click on it and open in a new tab. It really is pretty and interesting. Aunt Daisy is going to be one of my favorite quilts. And Kira is going to be interesting.

I am trying to think about what I will start when we finally get moved. I just have a few scraps here...most of my fabric is done over there.