Monday, March 16, 2020

Foggy View




Lately this is what my morning view looks like...a bit like my world view.

This is my not really a surprise but SURPRISE finish. My mom went to Arizona for a week and while she was gone the long arm quilter called saying my log cabin quilt was finished.


My mom had seen the quilt top but not the finished quilt. I made up her bed with the quilt so she would "find" it when she got home. It looks much better on her bed than it did mine.
 
I quilted and machine bound the guild donation quilt.


I couldn't find a binding fabric that looked good with the quilt top and backing so I just matched the top as much as I could. I quilted it with a simple meander.

I've joined a couple of Facebook cross stitch / blackwork groups - so many talented and creative people - and the designs are nothing like when I cross stitched 25+ years ago. One thing new I've noticed is all the cute needle minders. I have two but decided I needed more (more is better right). But instead of buying them I decided to make them. Harbor Freight carries very strong earth magnets so I made up the five needle minders below.


Three are old buttons, the heart was given to me (I think), and the other is an old clip earring (I'd lost one and saved (hoarded) the other because I always thought it was so pretty). I have a feeling I'll be making more of these.

There are a lot of junk / antique / thrift stores in Grants Pass. Last week I checked out few and found these treasures...


I've been chain piecing a bazillion half square triangles for this quilt:


I cut it out two years ago when I also cut out the Land of Lincoln Sampler. I'm making good progress on it but I am mostly procrastinating from marking the Land of Lincoln Sampler quilt.

Saturday is National Quilting Day. I've signed up for another Project Linus one-day only mystery quilt sew along. Mary Bakunowicz Balagna designs the Project Linus mystery quilts and always has fantastic patterns. She has even published a book Quilt it with Love. I am so looking forward to this sew along.



3 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

That will be a nice surprise for your mom to come home to! It is beautiful. I rarely go to thrift stores anymore. Honestly, the thrift shops are dominated by Good Will Industries. A few years ago they must have gotten a new price setting person and most things are priced at discount store prices. I made needle minders a few years ago using covered button kits. Yours are cute.
xx, Carol

Loris said...

Your mom's quilt turned out so beautiful! I love how that wide border fits over the pillows. Great design idea! She is going to really enjoy this.
The fog photo is interesting. Does it burn off as the day goes on?
Have fun with General Jack. It will look lovely. I love Rebecca's quilting and follow her on IG. I've been making such slow progress on the Straits quilt but I will get there.

Rose said...

I just happened to think I have not looked blog for a new post in a few days! I so LOVE your surprise...I keep meaning to make a log cabin and do a star set of some kind. How big did you cut the strips for this one?

You chose well for the binding on the donation quilt...