Wednesday, October 20, 2021

RIP

A week ago Tuesday I drove to California to visit friends and to attend the Pacific International Quilt Festival. I was supposed to return home last Sunday. Unfortunately Sunday when I went to start my car it made the most horrible noise ever...someone had stole the catalytic converter. In doing so they damaged the whole exhaust system. The cost to repair the car would have been over $6,000 (!!), most parts are on back order so even if the decision was to repair the car it would have been a month or more before it could be repaired. My car was a 2005 Honda Accord with over 180k miles in excellent condition but not worth $6k so the insurance company is totaling the car. 

Boo hoo 😢. This has been the best car ever and I had really hoped to drive it for another 100k miles. After waiting three days on the insurance company I was able to get a rental car today and drove home today. Luckily I have the truck to drive until I can find another car...although apparently there is also a shortage of cars!

I was staying with my friend Angela. She and her family were so incredibly nice to put up with me for an additional three days.  

While in California, Angela and I joined Stephanie and her sister at PIQF. The show was much smaller than previous years and not surprising, not very crowded. There were lots of pretty quilts but I only took pictures of two because I liked the quilting. I got to test drive a Handi Quilter Moxie long arm machine and fell in love. I bought some machine oil and a spool holder for my featherweight and that was it. It was nice to spend time with friends but the show was a little disappointing.

Angela and I both worked on our FQS Sampler quilts.


We both made microwave bowl holders.

Mine - using Angela's fabric - which I made for her. She made one for her sister but I forgot to take a picture of it.

Angela also made a cute mug rug for her sister - this is officially her first finished quilt. I think she did a great job.

Here is the reveal of my secret sewing. A pop-up thread catcher, sewing machine mat and a matching (not pictured) ironing pad for Angela. Don't you love the two featherweights 💖.

I also gave Christina her quilt which she loved.

So a fun, productive, stressful, and sad week.






3 comments:

Rose said...

Oh, no! On the car! They are stilling the catalytic converters around here, too. I a Toyota Rav 4 and it is still going strong with 161,000 miles on it, but I keep wondering should I try to find a new used car with less miles.

You sure havw been busy!

Rose said...

YES! I love the two featherweights....they were one of the first things I noticed.

Needledmom said...

I e heard about the thefts of those things here too. It’s so frustrating! It looks like it didn’t stop the sewing anyway. Whew!