Monday, March 14, 2022

I'm Tired

 I spent all of last week in Palo Alto California and drove home today. It's about an 8 hour drive. The weather was good and traffic was light but it is a long drive.

My friend Angela has a garage sale / estate sale / free item knack that is almost magical. She's the one who rescued a Singer Featherweight from a dumpster last year.  A few weeks ago she went to an estate sale for a women who taught adult ed sewing (mostly garment sewing) and who was a quilter. The day after the sale ended everything was free. Angela couldn't stand that all the left over fabric and other sewing related items were headed for the landfill so she took it all...

This is a very small part of the fabric she picked up. She also got a huge bag of upholstery batting, a large roll of Hobbes quilting batting, lots of different types of inter facings and stabilizers, quilting books, and garment fabric. It was fun to sort through it all. A lot is going to be donated, but we both kept a lot.

Angela is a beginning quilter so a lot of the week was spent teaching her. This is what her dining room looked like for most of the week.

She made the heart and did the in-the-ditch quilting, I did the stipple quilting, and she learned how to add binding.

She also learned how to add borders.

And quilting with a walking foot.

One item in with all the scraps was all the pieces and parts for a rooster pin cushion.

I made it. So easy.

Speaking of pin cushions...my secret sewing last week was this folded star pin cushion.


I saw a tutorial from Shabby Fabrics a few weeks ago and loved this pin cushion. The fabrics are all from my stash. I knew when I put all the brights together that it had to go to Stephanie. I also got to have lunch with her while I was in California and gave it to her then. 

I've only been home a few hours but I miss my friends already!





3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

You deserve a long rest, but it does sound like you had a great visit. The bonus fabrics and projects are going to be fun. It looks like your student is doing a great job.

Loris said...

I'm so glad you were able to make your trip! The heart quilt that Angela made with you is a really sweet heart pattern.

Rose said...

Oh, that heart is one of the best ones I have seen. I know it is partly how she used colors, but it is wonderful. I am glad you got to go. Looks like the time was well spent.