Monday, August 30, 2021

And She Sews!

 I have two friends who are prolific quilters / sewers. They are retired like me. They have wonderful sewing rooms and lots of fabric like me. So why am I not as prolific as they are? Probably because they actually sew! Me on the other hand, I reorganized every other month, spend way too much time on the computer creating spreadsheets, reading blogs and Facebook, and playing games. So I hereby proclaim a change - I am going to become a prolific quilter! (don't hold your breath)

I started Wednesday (maybe Thursday) with a friend's daughter's (Christina) quilt that she made over 10 years ago for her grandfather who has since pasted away. I offered to quilt it but before I did I had to make some repairs.

Christina had never made a quilt before this one and I don't think she had much guidance when she made it. I love the design and the fabrics she chose. Unfortunately most of her stitches look like basting stitches and there are lots of gathered areas. I fixed seam that were at risk of pulling apart but did not fix anything else.

I love the nautical flannel fabric I found for the back - except they didn't have enough of it - so I got the kinda tie-dyed looking flannel to make it big enough. I'm still debating whether to quilt or tie it. I'm leaning toward quilting it as it would re-enforce the seams.  I plan on making the back tomorrow and getting it loaded on the frame this week.

At my last guild meeting I had picked up a community service quilt kit.

Even if everything weren't already cut out this would have been an easy quilt.

I'll get the outer border sewn on after I finish writing this post. With all my 2.5 inch scrap strips I can see me making more quilts using this pattern.

I've continued to make progress on my blackwork project.

Although I'm still about 10 weeks behind.

I can't believe Wednesday is the 1st of September! My September UFO Challenge project is Lucy's Love Notes. Which is perfect because the 2021 Project Linus Mystery Quilt starts September 23rd.

All the blocks are made except Lucy the flamingo. This really shouldn't take that long to finish. (famous last words)

Okay, can she do it? Will she become a prolific quilter? Or will she re-organize something and make a new spreadsheet? Take more cute cat pictures?


2 comments:

AnnieO said...

Christina is lucky to have you quilt her quilt! I like that design too. Getting distracted and going down a rabbit hole is all too common in my sewing life too. Get back on track occasionally but don’t beat yourself up over a hobby you love.

Rose said...

I for one hope you tale more cute cat photos...this one made me laugh out loud. Is she still staring at the door part of the time? You have really made progress on your blackwork project, plus all the other sewing you have done.