Monday, January 10, 2022

Kool Kaleidoscope

 I've been in the mood to sew and got a bit done this past week. 

My Kool Kaleidoscope quilt is ready for borders but I have no idea how I want to finish it. 

I really like the very center, the outer portion is kinda funky - I didn't get enough of an angle on the fabric strips. I can't sew the center together until I make a border decision. I have a few ideas and will probably waste a bit of fabric auditioning ideas.  It is definitely the ultimate mystery and almost impossible to plan. I think, if I make another one, I'll use fewer fabrics and fewer colors. It is an interesting and fun process. Also surprisingly easy.

I picked up a guild community service quilt kit the last time I attended. The kit included already made blocks, border fabric and backing fabric. I finished the top yesterday and got the back made today.

I'll quilt it later this week.

Every other month the guild has a Mischief Makers Challenge - I always debate about participating but the last two have been fun. February's is to make something red and white, it has to be sewn, can be holiday related, no florals, and no pink. It will be a exchange, you take one and get a different one. I really debated about doing this one (also wasn't sure what to make) but decided to go ahead. 

I've been wanting to make a gingham or buffalo plaid quilt for a white. This will finish at 17 inches square. Really easy to make. Took about 3 hours this afternoon start to finish. I'll also quilt it later this week.

Hopefully the good sewing mood will continue cause I have lots to do and am serious thinking about chasing a squirrel ;o)




2 comments:

Rose said...

Oh, my goodness! I love it...and cannot imagine making the plaid in 17 inches!

The kaleidoscope looks hard...the choosing of fabrics would probably be the hardest thing for me.

I really like the top you put together!

Needled Mom said...

The kaleidoscope quilt is fascinating and so pretty. I like the red and white plaid too. That was a great idea.