Monday, January 31, 2022

New Things to Ponder

 

The kaleidoscope quilt top is done!

Don't look too close, a few of the points / intersection are off. But I spent so much time with Jack the Ripper last week that I just didn't have it in me to take apart more...okay, maybe I did fix a few. It is currently 45 inches square. I don't plan on adding any more borders. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to quilt it. I have some ideas but the big question is thread color. Should I use a monofilament thread (I hate quilting with it) or lots of color changes, maybe a gray in the center and a dark teal in the background? What do you think?

The quilt doesn't use a lot of fabric but it sure does waste a lot. This is the pile of left over scraps. I have several 10 inch plus strip set pieces leftover. Plus all the parts I took out and the pieces of background I cut wrong.

Any ideas on what to do? I don't want to throw it out. Not that I would, I don't throw out anything fabric related.

I've spent the last two nights cleaning up my 2021 scraps - the bin is almost empty. I need to find a good leader-ender project for my 5 inch squares and 2.5 x 5 inch rectangles. And my 2.5 inch strips...and my 2 inch strips...and my 5 inch strips...

Linking to Needle and Thread Thursday.

3 comments:

Rose said...

I do love the quilt! As to the color of thread...I just don't know. I would not want filiment on it. But that is just me. It might end up being my choice if I were there in person and faced with the choice. I always take different threads besides the one I think will be 'it' and pull off thread and puddle it on the quilts and decide from that. I have gotten surprised and the one I thought would be perfect was not at all.

As to the leftovers, I would work them into the backing. I love backs that are totally wild.

Needled Mom said...

It looks so nice. I’d likely use a dark neutral on the background and a light neutral for the main body. I don’t like using the mono for quilting either.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Love your KK! Really nice colors, reminds me of a stained glass rose window. Nice fussy cutting, too. I've made several KKs and learned that the quilting doesn't show up in them at all. I recommend a neutral thread and allover quilting within the KK and matching thread for the background.