Monday, March 15, 2021

I Tried

 

My plan was to have the March UFO finished this weekend...didn't happen.

My first attempt at a string pieced maple leaf was pretty sad.

My second attempt was much better.


This is the layout and fabrics I plan on using to make the table runner.

I bought some tear away stabilizer and prepped the first leaf to machine applique then found I didn't have a thread color that I really liked AND I'm a little leary about the machine appliqueing - I'm worried that if I just pin everything the leaf or a fabric segment/string may shift. In the past I've always used Heat-n-bond to attach my applique pieces to my background fabric. Couldn't do that with the string pieced leaves. I may try using basting spray.

By this time it was Saturday afternoon and I needed something to work on. Didn't have to look far as I have a pile of small quilts sitting next to the sewing machine that needed to be quilted.

These were marked and pinned - ready to go. I got the quilting done Saturday night, the binding on yesterday and the hand sewing done today.

3 comments:

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Love those little hexi quilts. I've been wanting to do these for pot holders but it's just hanging out on my to-do list for now. Cute!

Needled Mom said...

How about using a glue stick to adhere it first? Those will look nice. Cute little hexes too.

Rose said...

Oh, I so love the maple leaves...both of them. Though I do like the second one better. They are so beautiful.

I love the small quilts, too. Been thinking about doing that with some hexies.