Monday, March 22, 2021

More Tries

 

I actually got quite a lot of sewing / quilting done last week. Last Friday was the first Kiwanis Quilts for Kids meeting since last November. I decided I wanted to bring a third quilt to donate...something I made, not just quilted.

I finished this quilt top three years ago. I was worried about using a purple thread to quilt the top but it was thread I had already. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

The back is a nice soft pieced flannel. This quilt was made from 100% scraps, including the batting!

While at the meeting I picked up two more quilt tops to finish. I think they were made by the same person as the last two. I'll show pictures next week.

I've sewed a few of the Exploding Heart rows together...

I am still loving this quilt.

Then I focused on the string leaves. I took one of the leaves with me when I purchased the perfect thread for the applique. Geez! It was the exact same color as the spool I already had and said wouldn't work.

I did end up using Heat-n-Bond to adhere the leaves to the background fabric. 

This was the first attempt. I decided it was way too long (45 inches) and too much "white space" in the outer blocks.

This was better. Removed 5 inches total.

And this is the best! I think the border fabric really makes this quilt. It is quite large, 25 x 50. It needs a large rectangle table or maybe the back of a couch to really show it off.

My March UFO goal is finished early. Now we'll have to see how long it takes to get it quilted.

p.s. Thanks again Rose for the inspiration and tutorial. This quilt was so much fun to make.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Oh. My! I love both.. inthinknthe purple thread realkybadded to the quilt...I would not have had the courage to just it but maybe I would after seeing that. Love how you did the leaves...I feel like you took it a lot farther than I would have had the courage to try!

Loris said...

You are getting some lovely things accomplished. I had no idea those leaves were so large! It does look kind of interesting on the back of the couch.