Monday, February 27, 2012

Civil War Blocks

I knew I wanted to put my civil war blocks on point, I just didn't know how I wanted to set the blocks. Last Saturday I saw a setting for the civil war blocks I really liked on Barbara Brackman's Civil War Quilts post. Since I'm kind of a lazy sort (I like to think I'm working smarter, not harder) I decided I was going to create the corner settings by making two similar blocks then cut the blocks in half. I did my normal screw up by not making the blocks correctly, but I like my version just as well.

It's going to take a while to finish this quilt with the additional piecing and I'm a little worried I may not have enough left over fabrics to make corners for all the block. I'm also a little worried that this quilt could be quite large, on point the block is 12.25 unfinished. I have 48 blocks made...maybe I should find a second block setting and make two quilts instead of one.

5 comments:

AnnieO said...

Very interesting! I like the idea of the connecting chain squares--it will add a lot to the blocks. The dark print looks good! Hope your MATH works out. Two quilts instead of one could be fun...

Needled Mom said...

It will be gorgeous, but I can see where you might need to make two quilts. It will be huge!

Loris said...

Wow! That looks really good! It adds to the design. Very clever!
I wish I had some of that brown fabric to send you.
Putting the blocks all into one quilt with borders will make it big...maybe fitting a queen size bed but it would be beautiful.
Or two smaller ones...either way, you win :-) Lovely work!

Michele said...

I love how you did this! Clever and beautiful!

Barb said...

This looks like one time consuming block, great job!!