Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Monkey on my Back and the Elephant in my Closets

 
I know. I know. I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it does. I haven't been doing much quilting lately because I feel like I should quilt the 19 quilt tops I have done before I start another project.

 
Market Day is number 20. When I start feeling overwhelmed I start quilting the small quilts first. Which makes no sense at all since they take me longer to quilt as I tend to custom quilt them with a lot of quilting. 
 
 
I have most of the background quilted and all of the nine patches. Now I need to decide what to do with the border and dark blue halves.
 
I met a long arm quilter yesterday who said she spends so much time on customer quilts that she doesn't quilt her own...and has over 40 unfinished quilt tops. So I know there are people with even more unfinished quilts than me, but I still feel like there are monkeys on my back.
 
I took a quilting class yesterday (yes, I started another quilt, and no, I haven't finished Picnic yet - new monkeys). The blocks are Day Break by Jaybird Quilts. LOVE this block. It is much easier than it looks.


The elephant in my closet?  My stash...in the sewing room closet, in the dresser in the spare bedroom, in the dresser in the other spare bedroom, in the dresser in the living room, in every bedroom closet but mine. Most of the fabrics in Day Break are from my stash but it didn't make a dent.

I know. I know. I know people who have even more stash than I do. But every once in a while it just overwhelms me.


On the good side, it rained just about all day today.
 

4 comments:

Needled Mom said...

We all have those monkeys, but they are overwhelming at times.

The new blocks look beautiful.

Wasn't the rainy day wonderful?

Loris said...

Yep...know what you mean! I needed to retire so I had time to get rid of stuff. LOL
Stay calm and keep quilting :-)

AnnieO said...

Lucky you to have so much MATERIAL wealth! Haha, I crack myself up.
All kidding aside, I'm feeling the weight of stash and unfinished / unstarted projects too!

Rose said...

Between the two of us, we could open a zoo! I think I have about a dozen tops that need to be quilted...I have one that I have lost and cannot find even though I have been through ever crack and corner in this house...I have a good sized stash....I need to even get busy making tops.

I try not to buy too much fabric any more...but can never totally resist, and always needing something for a backing.