Monday, May 10, 2021

Two New Starts and a Potential Third

 

I couldn't stand it anymore, I really needed something to piece. So instead of starting one new project I started two...and one is almost done.

First up, years ago I won a quilt kit at a silent auction, Daphne by Shabby Fabrics. The kit included all of the blocks, the finishing kit AND the back. I paid the same amount that the pattern only is currently listed at. I decided I'm going to take my time making this quilt as I really want to keep my momentum of getting quilt tops quilted. So here are the four corner blocks stacked and staggered.

My favorite block: Jacob's Ladder.

Second up, at the last Quilts for Kids meeting I picked up a fat quarter bundle of flannels. It was an old fabric line by Connecting Threads. Since it was kind of an odd assortment of colors and patterns I went with my favorite quilt pattern: Atkinson Design's Yellow Brick Road. This is the only pattern I have ever made more than twice. This may be my 5th or 6th quilt using this pattern. It is just such a quick easy pattern that can make any group of fat quarters look good.

Here are the blocks laid out on the design bed. Sorry about the the fuzzy picture and bad colors, it was rather late at night when I took this picture. This is not the final layout.

I'm going to sew together two sets of four rows then decide if I want two small quilts or one large quilt. I'm leaning toward one large one. It (or they) will be donated back to Quilts for Kids.

I really need to stay focused so I can get this quilt top finished and get two other donation quilts quilted cause I really really really want to start this project.

I don't have a Spring themed wall hanging and I've been wanting one forever. I saw this pattern and thought it was perfect. I'm only planning on making six flowers. The flowers are large - roughly 16 x 8. I also wanted it to be very bright and cheerful so I purchased Riley Blake Design's Strawberry Honey by Gracey Larson. Love the colors. Can't wait to get started.

On other news I won a great bunch of wool patterns from Janet at Rogue Quilter.

Check out Janet's blog, she makes fantastic miniature quilts. Make sure you take a close look at her FMQ and hand quilting. Very inspirational.

I also bought another rug for the entryway. I decided that last one was way to light / gray. 

The colors in this one are perfect... yeah there's a "but"...it is a little bit more contemporary than what I wanted... yeah there's a "however"... I think I'll be keeping this one.


2 comments:

Rose said...

You have been busy! And I love what you have done. Love the christmas fabrics in YBR...And Jacob's ladder is a favorite of mine. Congratulations on the win.

Needled Mom said...

It looks like you are on a roll there. Your kit quilt will be gorgeous and the flowers will make such a cute spring wallhanging. I like the way the entrance looks with the new rug.