Friday, August 3, 2018


More quilt tops have been finished...have I mentioned that I'm practicing retirement? I'm currently working part-time - three days a week - and it is WONDERFUL!! That is the reason I've been so prolific lately.

I won a bundle of cute chemistry fat quarters last year. After added a few coordinating I made a new Yellow Brick Road quilt - my all time favorite pattern. Sorry the picture is not the best.


I'm not ashamed to admit that I dumpster dive. Last year at the quilt retreat I went to I raided the garbage cans and "stole" scraps. One of the quilters was making a bear paw quilt and I acquired the corners she cut off and threw out (after the first day she started saving them for me 😄). They have been one of my leader-ender projects this past year. After getting them squared up to 1.5 inches I made several small quilts / mug rugs.



I'm hoping to have one or all quilted before the next retreat so I can gift one back to the quilter who let me have them all.

And speaking of quilting...I put the Juki back on the frame.


 WHOO-HOO I have two finished quilts!! I made this little quilt a couple of months ago and forgot to post about it. Finally used up the last of the cat fabric. It is about 34 x 41 inches with a bright green flannel on the back. I quilted double loops in it.

This is the last of the log cabin sections. 40 x 60 inches with a yellow and white print on the back. With so many seams I quilted a simple meander.


I bought the log cabin quilt at a garage sales. It was original made in the 70's and has everything in it. Unfortunately I never even though about washing the quilt before I quilted it. I've found that several of the fabrics bled to the back of the quilt even with Color Catchers.  I originally intended to donate the quilts - now I'm not so sure.

Bella follows me everywhere. I've found having her in my sewing room can be a challenge as she like to jump up on the ironing board and cutting table, and likes to eat thread - specifically the thread I'm trying to sew with.



Have you heard about cats and boxes?


Its true...thank goodness.
 

4 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Practice retirement is great for you!!! You have so much sewing happening. You dumpster scraps are going to make nice little gifts.

I love the cat in the box photo.

Loris said...

Bella is a true quilting helper. She is adorable filling those boxes. I also spied her in the longarm photo perched at the window. NO wonder you're getting so much done with such a sweet assistant ;-)
Yay! for practice retirement and getting such fun projects done. Your scrap donor will be pleased with the quilty return!
I've heard that using Synthrapol to spot clean fabric bleeding can help sometimes. It's such a charming log cabin. I'm inspired to make one of those again. It has been a long time.

Linda in Calif. said...

I'm so jealous, one of these days I hope to "practice" retirement too. Or maybe just do the whole thing and retire. Hahaha. As for Bella, you picked the best name for her - she is beautiful. Nothing like a cat to light up your life. I'm super fond of log cabins and this one is so nice. Sorry to hear the color bled. Love the rest of your projects. Your sewing friend will be so tickled with the little quilt. She will certainly get a kick out of that.

Rose said...

I am sure enjoying catching up on your blog! Lots of work going on here.

My Bubbie cat loves to be in the middle of whatever I am working on.