Monday, June 15, 2020

Quilt Retreat

  

I spent last week at a quilt retreat at the Girl Scout camp in Somerset, CA. Which is somewhere up a very narrow, very windy road in El Dorado County.


We practiced social distancing...


There were twelve of us and everyone got their own table to work at. We had to take our temperature everyday also.  Most of us were dead with a temp of 90 degrees or less.

I forgot to take a picture of the bunks where we slept and I got eaten up by something (either fleas or spiders, cause mosquitoes don't like me).

Nancy taught a Stack and Whack class to seven of the ladies. Here are a few...




This one was made using the panel in the center. I would have never given the panel a second look but I LOVE this quilt.


The retreat was a half day Monday, I started a disappearing nine patch. I made and cut all the blocks.

 (laid it out on my design floor yesterday)

A full day Tuesday. Worked on my General Jack quilt. Got the center done, the next round of stars partially pieced and about 2/3 of the bazillion 1.5 inch HST for the outer border squared up.


Wednesday was another full day. I started another quilt called Sunny Lanes from The Big Book of Nickel Quilts. I used charm squares from a clearance kit I purchased 10+ years ago. I never liked the original pattern and have been trying to find the right pattern ever since.


160 HST that still need to be squared up and 160 four patches.

Thursday was another half day for Nancy and I. I cut and pressed all of the Sunny Lane HST and four patches.

It's amazing how much sewing / piecing can be accomplished when there is no internet service and barely any cell service.

The year is more than half over - wow - someone commented today about how fast time flies when you are not having fun - I thought that was very funny and very appropriate for this year.

 

3 comments:

Loris said...

Wow! Just seeing that first picture with the trees and the peek of blue skies, I could feel that bit of elevation and just the wonderful feel of being in the mountains. Nothing quite like it. Your retreat center looks spacious. I'm so glad you could get together with friends..new and old... and still be safe..except for the bugs :-0 You sure got a lot done with your time there.

Rose said...

I cannot imagine having time to just think about sewing/quilting and nothing else pressing.

You got a lot done. I get tired just thinking of squaring up all the half square triangles or 4 patches...but sure going to be pretty.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

A quilt retreat sounds amazing! Outside of the bites, I bet it was so much fun!