Monday, January 28, 2019

New Family Members and More Little Finishes

 
For the past several years I have been feeding three "outside" cats...all belonged to the same household but the gentleman of the household is not a cat person, his wife was. When she pasted away several years ago the dogs came in and the cats went out. He knew I was feeding the cats and has provided food for them and helped with a recent vet bill.

Meet Buddy (aka Bobby)...


Buddy has been around the longest, we think he is somewhere between 15-18 years old. He is very much an outdoor cat. Very sweet, drools big time if you pick him up and cuddle. He is not interested in coming in the house at all. I think he has a few other "homes" in the neighborhood.

This is Spooky (aka Loomis)...


She has been living in my back yard for over a year. Also very sweet and she loves to have her belly rubbed. She acts like she wants to come in the house (sits by the back door and cries) however the one time I tried to bring her in she HOWLED the whole time and went ballistic when I tried to take her to the vet for a check up. She won. Back to the back yard she went. She has a bed in a protected area and seems to be quite content. She has been known to catch birds and rats.

This is Piggy (aka Morris)...





Piggy and Spooky are siblings. Both are somewhere between 12-15 years old. Piggy has tried multiple times to come in. A couple of weeks ago he got his wish...unfortunately it is because he is a sick kitty - he had an infection and has hyperthyroid which he'll have to take medication for the rest of his life. I think he may be partially blind as he doesn't jump on anything, follows the walls when he is exploring and tends to get stuck in corners and behind open doors. He's adapting well to being inside although he spends most of his time sleeping.

This is a not very happy Bella...


She seems to be adapting to having Piggy in the house but is not a happy camper.

 On the quilting front I did pretty good this week. I finished piecing this table runner (it was a kit that was part of the estate haul I purchased a few months ago - it was cut out and partially sewn). My mom has already called dibs on this, so it will have to get quilted before next fall.



This is a primitive stitchery I started years and years ago (over 10?)...it had about an hour of embroidery needed to finish it. I then added borders. Hopefully it won't have to wait years and years to get quilted.


I quilted and added the binding to this little table topper. I really like how the quilting turned out.


I quilted and added the machine side of the binding for another table topper but didn't finish the hand sewing to include it in this post.

I think I did pretty good for the first month of retirement and the new year. Four blog posts and soon to be five finished small quilts and three pieced small quilts/table toppers.
  

3 comments:

Loris said...

What a sweet group of "extras" :-) You seem to have found a good way to look out for them. I hope Bella comes to accept to the newbie inside. It can be an adjustment for sure. Mine don't even allow anyone in the yard!
Snaps! for so many finishes! You are rocking the new year in!

Needled Mom said...

You certainly have your hands full with the new additions. It's nice that they have a home to care for them.

You got some nice projects done for your start of retirement. I think you are settling in nicely.

Rose said...

I think you are doing fabulous! I am loving coming and finding posts more often...I love these. And like you I love the quilting on that last one..