Monday, April 1, 2019

Paradise, CA

  
This makes me happy...


Debbie's Quilt Shop in Paradise, CA has re-opened! She is a few doors down from her old shop.  She is having a "fire sale" and getting ready for the Northern California Quilt Rush which is April 10-13th. The link is to her Facebook page where you can see some of the quilts that have been made with the house blocks that were sent by people from all over the world! I've always loved Debbie's selection of reproduction fabrics so when I heard she was open again I knew I had make the drive (about 100 miles) even though it was pouring rain the whole trip. I definitely showed my support with some significant retail therapy.


It was a little strange driving up the canyon road to Paradise, it has rained here so much this year that every thing was really green...until you took a closer look. The ground cover was green but the trees were black and still bare when they should have had leaves and or blossoms. It was very sad to see all the white crosses for those who died in the fire as you enter the town. Once in town it was surprising to see totally burnt out buildings right next to building that didn't look like they had any damage. Then there would be a whole block that was leveled by the fire and shells of burned cars next to new construction. I am very happy the town is rebuilding but it looks like it will be slow.

Another thing that made me very happy was winning Melissa Corey's Terrific Tuesday Giveaway. I won this wonderful bundle of fat quarters from the Fat Quarter Shop.


I want to play with all of my new fabric but I'm determined to make the three scrappy quilts I've started. I'm still making string blocks...I think I figured out I need 90 of them. I currently have about a third of them made.
 

1 comment:

Rose said...

Congratulations on the win! What kind of reproduction fabrics do you like? Civil War? Just wondering. I have been doing a bit of sewing on the string blocks. But I have not taken a photo yet. I would like to wait till I get it together before I show it again...feel like I bore people to death with it.

I cannot imagine losing everything I owned to a fire! But I guess when compared to losing your life, or a loved one losing their life...possessions seem pale in comparison.