Monday, May 25, 2020

This and That


Well I got my fabric unpacked and the quilt frame kinda sorta put back together...


Uneventful huh? I have to order new tracks for the sewing machine carriage. I'll do that this week. Hopefully the Grace Company still has replacement parts for this frame as they no longer sell it.


Do you plan out a room? I measured, grid out the room and furniture, then started moving things around on paper. MUCH easier on my back than physically moving everything all over. I decided the best place for the frame was smack in the middle of the room.

I spent a lot of time in my sewing room this week but didn't do much sewing. As I was unpacking fabric I pulled all the white/off-white/shirting fabrics and sorted them by size. I went through all the white/off-white scraps and cut them up into 10 inch squares, 5 inch strips or squares and 2.5 inch strips or squares.

Then, because they have been driving me nuts for the last few months, I did the same 10 inch squares, 5 inch strips or squares and 2.5 inch strips or squares with all the scraps from all the quilts I've made since I moved into the house.

THEN, I did the same thing with a bag of fabric a friend of my mom's gave me. Whew! All of them had odd chunks cut out. Most of them I'll never use, but I thought if they were nicely cut up someone at my guild might be interested in them.

I didn't get the whale quilt pinned. I cut the backing but found it was just a few inches too narrow. I cut strips to make it little bit larger but then realized it is a directional fabric...if I add the strip will it look strange? Maybe off center?


Or should I use one of the other fabrics in the picture?

I did start quilting the fall table runner.


Almost all of the in-the-ditch quilting is done. Now I have to figure out what else...meandering in the cream? leaves in the border?

The light I use on my cutting table is a halogen - it gives off a lot of heat. Bella loves it.


My darling kitty caught a lizard in the garage yesterday and promptly brought it in the house - still alive (barely). It took a bit to capture her then the lizard. I don't know if he lived or not but he is gone from where I dumped him in the yard.


This little jack rabbit has been living in my front yard the last few days - although I haven't seen him today. As long as he eats the weeds he can stay as long as he wants.
  

4 comments:

Loris said...

Great progress getting your frame up and all that fabric sorting started. I've been looking at GE Design patterns using 10" squares. She has some interesting ones. I like 'Lucy' enough to buy it someday. It uses the square portion of your new ruler. I have the original ruler so I ordered the square one.
Bella has a nice sweet spot :-) Marianne likes the heating pads I turn on for her. Fortunately, she isn't bringing critters in anymore!

Rose said...

You have been busy, girl! I am no help in deciding on the quilting. I always have the hardest time deciding.

As for the backing, could you make a big 9-patch with two of the fabrics and frame it with the other and make it be big enough?

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Lots of fabric sorting going on there--nice! Not sure what to do about the backing. I think that it's kind of a personal preference so if it looks good to you, go for it. I know--that's not helpful! I do really like putting a bit of design on the back so maybe there's a way to fit that strip in with the other fabrics? I like the fall table runner--I have that border pumpkin fabric!
Gosh I have not seen a jack-rabbit around here since I was little. I forget how big their ears are! We have a ridiculous amount of reg rabbits on our few acres (I think we saw about 8-10 out playing when just taking our walk this eve!). Something's gotta give!

Needled Mom said...

You have been sort and organizing! I have that same frame and replaced my runners with metal rods that are 1/4 inch thick. The glide is much smoother and indestructible. If you are interested, I’ll send you some pictures.

I hope your rabbit does not eat more than your weeds. It might soon bring its whole family!