I'm making progress on the pile sitting on my sewing table. I quilted two table runners over the weekend and the single churn and dash wall hanging today. I played a bit with the quilting on all of them.
I have a ton of stencils I've collected over the years and have only used a few of them. I have one that is a continuous line design made for a 9" block. I used it on this block for a few reasons: 1) I wanted to see how I'd like an all over design on a pieced block, 2) I wanted more practice doing free motion quilting on a marked design, and 3) I wanted to try using a different method to mark the design on to the quilt top.
I started out using Quilt Pounce. I've never used it before. It was a bit messy loading the chalk into the Pounce dispenser, and even messier priming the Pounce. Result? Mixed. It was okay on the blue fabric (white chalk) but not very visible on the light green or print fabric. It may have been due to my inexperience and not having the dispenser fully primed - I will give it another try in the future so I'm holding out on final judgement. I ended up using Mark-B-Gone water soluble ink to mark the design. I've used this in the past and it has always worked well.
I like the quilt design with this block. It is almost tempting to use this design on the fall churn and dash, but I've already marked it with another design. I'll write more about it when it's completed. Currently I don't have any quilting in the blue border. I started to quilt a free motion loop and didn't like the way it looked so I took it out. Part of the problem may have been that I was still using the green thread and it really showed up on the blue. I may try it again with a blue thread - maybe. I did a free motion design in the print border, but the fabric is so busy you can barely see it.
For my Mom in Oregon and those of you snow bound in the east, this is a reminder of what a sunny day and green grass look like.
25 minutes ago