So I've made a pretty good dent in the pile on the sewing table. I still have the flannel to make into a back for the disappearing 9 patch, the fall churn dash wall hanging to quilt and I've turned all the left over valentine squares into 9 patch blocks...but once I laid all the 9 patch blocks out the way I had planned I decided I didn't like it. Kinda blah. So I began searching blog land, magazines and books for ideas. In the mean time I wanted something easy to piece - to kill time with until I found the right project for the 9 patch blocks.
Nancy and I took a stash buster class last year at our LQS, the project was called Hot Pocket. It is a scrappy lap quilt made of mirror image flying geese. In my case they were mirror image wonky geese. Neither Nancy or I did anything with our blocks after the class. The last couple of times we have gotten together to sew we have been working on this project - neither of us is overly crazy about the pattern but we are both determined to finish the quilt. So last week I cut out the set in triangles, and laid the rows out on the design floor (okay, so maybe I just tossed them out on the floor). The last few days I've been stretching and pulling the blocks into rows then putting the rows together (lots more stretching and pulling). I have 10 rows done, and 5 more to go.
I'm going to float the quilt center with more of the blue fabric then add a small border.
I don't particularly like this quilt but I'm determined to finish it. I'm not looking forward to quilting this one either, some of those seams are really thick.
Happily I've found the perfect pattern for the 9 patch blocks. More incentive to finish the Hot Pocket quilt quickly.
5 hours ago