Sunday, May 2, 2010

Working away

Not much sewing going on here. I worked a full week last week and survived...I even got a paycheck on Friday - Whoo Hoo! Between work, riding the bus, and trying to get 8 hours of sleep (I don't function very well with less) I've had very little time to do anything in the evenings other than getting ready for the next day. Now that I'm getting a little more acclimated, I'm hoping to work in some sewing time in the evenings.

Yesterday Nancy, Karen and went on a little road trip. Karen won a store prize during the recent Quilt Rush (I was in Idaho), at the quilt store that was the furthest away. Karen sweet talked Nancy and I into going with her back up there. It didn't talk much sweet talking.

We went to five shops - one in Marysville, two in Paradise and two in Chico. First stop was Sew So Shop in Marysville. I'm getting ready to make a new tote and found the perfect coordinating fabric there. Second stop was Morning Star Quilts in Paradise...this shop has two large rooms, it was very difficult to get out of the first room, so many beautiful batiks. This is the shop that Karen won her prize from - it was Moda pre-cut 2.5 inch squares - I think they call them Petit Fours. The third shop was Debbie's Quilt Shop, it was a cute little (very little) shop with lots of 30's reproduction fabrics.

After a quick lunch we headed to Chico and The Rabbit Hole. There was so much fabric, quilt samples, and quilt panels everywhere it was almost hard to see. A little bit of everything.

The last store was Honey Run Quilting. There was a baby shower going on in their class room next door and the only person in the shop was a very nice elderly lady (80's plus) who was a little hard of hearing, or a very good sales person. Nancy asked for a yard of fabric and the lady said "Two and half yards?" Too funny.

Isn't this the cutest little outfit? This was the store's sample. My grandniece will be five on Friday, I'm going to make this for her birthday (not those fabrics). Unfortunately there is no way I'll have it done in time.

We had a great road trip. I don't know if it is good or bad that after visiting five quilt shops this was all I bought.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...first paycheck! You survived the week! :-)
Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day off before heading back out there....

Loris said...

What a great road trip! I used to live in Chico decades ago. It was area already full of creative people. The shops up there must be wonderful. I'm tempted to drive to Paradise myself to Morningstar quilts and to Chico to see HoneyRun. Your grandniece is going to look pretty cute!

AnnieO said...

Fantastic week when you earn money and go to quilt shops! Honey Run Quilters did the pattern for Quilt Sampler that I am making now for my DD. Your comment on the saleslady cracked me up!

ana s. said...

I got the most wonderful quilt kit in Paradise when there in Feb. We were visiting family in Oroville.