Friday, February 8, 2019

Opinions Please


I am thinking of joining the Fat Quarter Shop's Threadology quilt along. I've always wanted to make a low volume quilt and was thinking this would be a good project.


Above is my fabric pull from stash. Some are a little yellowy, some are a little peachy-pink, but all have a "leafy" look to them. For grins I put the green and black leaf print and the green bee print with them - I kinda like them - I'll probably only do a few little blocks with them. It is hard to see, but the background has little dashes of tan/gold in it - not a strong white.


Here are the prints in monotone. Looks like there is enough contrast with the background fabric.

I don't intend to make the original version, I do like Melissa Corry's universal layout here.

So what do you think? Do these all work together? Would you pull out any? There are three that are questionable to me. Would you use a stronger white for the background?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
 

3 comments:

Rose said...

I love your fabrics!

Loris said...

These look lovely. I recently read a post by Jo Kramer about how she sorts her scraps that I found interesting. http://www.joscountryjunction.com/the-great-scrap-sort/
She does a lot of scrappy quilts especially those by Bonnie Hunter with strings etc. She likes to keep her neutrals (as well as the other colors) divided into two groups. Either white based or cream based and uses one or the other in her quilts. Her writing will explain it better. I'm still doing wild mixing here but I'm keeping in mind for the future :-) The Threadology quilt is very tempting!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I really like your fabric pick and think they would work well in a quilt together. I tend to use higher contrast and haven't made a low volume quilt yet although I really want to do one. I'm sure you know you will have to be careful with contrast as you make the blocks so they don't disappear.