Monday, December 30, 2019

And a Prosperous New Year

Definition of prosperous

1 : auspicious, favorable
2a : marked by success or economic well-being
  b : enjoying vigorous and healthy growth : flourishing
 
With the beginning of a new month, year and decade prosperous seems to be a better word to associate with the new year than happy. You can define auspicious, favorable, success, economic well-being, healthy growth and flourishing however it fits you but I hope you have it in abundance. 

I don't typically make New Year's resolutions, however I do make lists. I noticed I made a list of my UFO / WIP in my very first blog post over 10 years ago.  The sad part is one of those projects is still unfinished (one of the ornament wall hangings), and the blue butterfly quilt was finally quilted in 2017.  Back then my list included four UFO / WIP...I'm sad to report this years list - which I am NOT going to publish - has 25 UFO / WIP! How did that happen!!!

My list includes the three quilts I'm working on below. First up is my mom's quilt which is pieced, has a back, and the binding is made. It is schedule to be quilted in January.


 
I checked out the pillow tuck on my bed. All good! The top border pillow tuck is all one piece of fabric that measures 32 x 95 inches. The whole quilt measures 95 x 115!

I've also been working on the Civil War Legacies Land of Lincoln Sampler Quilt that I started in August of 2018...hmmm, I didn't do much blogging in 2018 and don't have pictures of the blocks I finished at Lynn Wilder's quilt retreat. Bad bad blogger. Here are the two blocks I finished this past week:



I have three more sampler blocks to make.
 
I've also joined the local quilt guild and took home a donation quilt to quilt and bind:
 
 
I have stitched in the ditch every other row and around the border. I think it needs more...what more is I'm not sure. Was thinking of some odd 45 degree lines in each set of rows and maybe some double loops in the border as it is a polka dot. The guild had already pinned the quilt (not very well) and has provided binding fabric which is the same as the back - a small floral that matches color wise, but not design wise - I don't think the floral goes with the quilt top and will check my stash for something that coordinates better. IMHO even if it is a donation quilt it should be pretty and the floral doesn't work.

Soon I should be able to cross three items off my list. It hasn't even started and I can tell it is going to be a very prosperous new year.
 

6 comments:

Barb said...

Beautiful Log Cabin Quilt.
Happy Early New Year!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Love the log cabin!

Loris said...

Your mom's quilt is looking sweet! and I love the Lincoln blocks! You are definitely off to a good start with projects for the new decade. I'm so glad you found a nice guild to join.
I am sewing the 532 little triangle in a square blocks that I need for my Straits sashing. The commitment continues :-) Have a Prosperous New Year!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Love your log cabin quilt! I think I need to stitch one. I'm glad you found a guild to join. You just moved from CA and it is looking like we will be moving there soon. Hopefully a deal can be made on a desert property near the CA/AZ state line just off the Colorado River. That takes us a lot closer to the kids in LA, but not TOO close.
Happy New Year.
xx, Carol

Bonnie said...

That log cabin quilt is gorgeous! I understand your thoughts on the binding for the donation quilt. If I'm sewing something I want it to look as good as possible. I am so bad about starting a quilt and then taking forever to finish it!

May you have a happy and healthy New Year!

Rose said...

I so love the log cabin....I like the blocks, too. I have looked and looked at the quilt and have no idea what type of quilting to add. It would have ben hard for me to decide on anything at all. But that is always my problem. Making a decision.