Monday, August 10, 2020

Finished quilt top

   

Thanks for your comments about the border color choices. When I finally read the pattern directions to get the border dimensions (not a part of the cutting instructions) it said cut a 1 1/2 inch light border, a 1 inch dark FLANGE, and a 1 1/2 inch medium border. Probably should have read the directions to begin with instead of going by the picture. So I threw out all of my selections and made a border as directed...problem: I tend to sew a scant 1/4 inch seam - consistently, so for the most part it is okay, however when attaching a pieced outer border even consistently is a problem. I had to add another inner border to make the pieced border fit.

After adding light border I used the black for my flange (I've never added a flange to a quilt before), red for the medium, and a dark navy for the extra border.  The finished top is about 46 inches square. While my seams may be small my star points are almost perfect! And if I didn't confess about the borders no one would have known. ;o) Now I have to figure out how I'm going to quilt it.

I recently won a fat 8th bundle of fabric and one of Pam Buda's new patterns.

I'm not a big fan of purples but these are beautiful. There isn't enough fabric to make the pattern so now I'm on a search for the perfect pattern.

I also did a little estate sale shopping this past weekend...I want to make every quilt in Civil War Legacies.

My picture doesn't do the colors in the print justice. I don't think the frame is original and I'm seriously thinking of having it matted and framed to give it more of an impact.

While I was adding borders I used the Forest Friends blocks as my leaders and enders. All the blocks are made, now I need to piece the center.

The border is a border fabric...

There is enough yardage to have the print frame the quilt. Any suggestions on how to fussy cut the border strips? The pattern didn't use this fabric for the border.

And here is a picture of my forest friend. Mama and sibling were also in the backyard but I couldn't get a good picture of them.


 

4 comments:

Rose said...

What a fun post! I love how your quikt top turned out. Just simply love it. I like the fabric you won, too. And like your leader-ender project as well.

Loris said...

Lovely finish! I think that extra navy border actually adds to the design. Really nice work :-) Congrats on the fabric and pattern win and for the estate sale finds as well. Great books and a nice picture too. You've had a productive week!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

The quilt looks great--the extra borders enhance it so all worked out well in the end! Good finds and I think a good matte and frame would be worth the effort, esp if you love the pic. Good pics--ones that speak to us--are too hard to find! (It reminded me of a print my sis gave me. I can't make out the artist's name at the bottom of yours and the style seems a little different but mine is A. Krasnyansky. She got several of them when she lived in CA but the certificates with them list England as the address.)

The Liberty Belle said...

Oh it looks nice! Congrats on winning the fabric bundle. Peace and blessings.