Monday, August 17, 2020

Garage Sale

   

   There is not much shopping in Grants Pass...Ross, Maurice, Walmart and Fred Meyers...not very exciting. There are a couple of pricey dress shops downtown but you have to be 25 years old and a size 6 to shop at them, I'm not either. For serious shopping you have to go 25+ miles into Medford to find a mall.

   So I hit garage and estate sales, thrift shops, and junk shops. I don't really need anything, but it is fun to look and sometimes I find a great deal.

   Last weekend I went to a garage sale just outside of town. The ad said sewing machines and a large like new cat condo.  Hmmm, I should check it out. She was even selling items before the actual garage sale. I email, she said come on by.

   Bella now has a new cat condo:

   She had a couple of sergers, a nice Brother sewing machine, a Brother embroidery machine that was already sold and a Singer 301 that was in mint condition - she was selling all of them crazy cheap. The Singer was tempting but I passed. She also had a lot of fabric, most of it was for clothes - dog clothes - including wool, corduroy, satin, velvet, and silk. She had some cottons and a batting.

   There was some yardage but mostly large scraps. I cut the scraps into 10 inch squares and 5, 2.5, 2, 1.5 inch strips. The fabric in the upper left corner is 100% cotton lawn, 4 metres from Liberty of London. I don't think it can be used in a quilt. It almost makes me what to try garment sewing. I'll have to see if I can find a pattern. It has been ages since I've done any garment sewing. I also got two Hawaiian prints that are almost upholstery weight. I think they will make great purses or tote bags.

   She gave me a bag full of fabric that she had cut up for dog coats. Most of the fabric had a coordinating liner. Since they are sleeves and jacket fronts and back for small dog jackets, none of the pieces are very big. I haven't decided how I'm going to cut them up. I've been wanting to make a scrappy Irish Chain quilt, maybe I'll cut  2.5 inch squares.

  

7 comments:

Rose said...

Wow, what treasures! I would have come home with the 301! Though why I don't know. I see fabrics here that I would love to have a closer look at. And what is that with the foxes?

I bet Bella is in Cat Heaven!

Rose said...

I am back...I thought to right click and click to open that first fabric pic in a new tab...oh, that under the foxes is even prettier than I thought and I thought it gorgeous. What will you do with it? That is one of those that I would love but would have no idea what to do with.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Getting what you want at garage sale prices is better than having a store to go to. These are lovely pieces and I am so impressed that you have already cut up the scraps into manageable pieces.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Sounds like you hit the jackpot!

Needled Mom said...

That sounds like a great garage sale! Nice cat tower and beautiful fabrics. I wound have likely grabbed the Singer too.

Barb said...

Great find! good for you and what a great cat tree! wow Nutmeg is so jealous!

Loris said...

Great new palace for Bella! You seem to be doing quite well at the yard sales. Some nice fabric finds. The 301 would have been tempting but I don't need any more machines either. I almost missed your post. The new Blogger seems to stick new posts in between posts I've already read in my feed. Haven't had trouble with it other than that.