Monday, August 24, 2020

I'm Ready

 

   I finished the Forest Friends quilt top...

    Fussy cutting the border was much easier than fussy cutting the corner stone blocks. Why is it panel blocks are never square? I found a cute fox fabric for the back.

   I also loaded the sports quilt onto my frame.

   What a pain! First my thread kept breaking. After I changed to a different brand of black thread it worked. I stopped at the point the picture was taken yesterday, when I went back to today the machine carriage dragged. I never did figure out the cause but after about three more passes fighting the drag it started moving fine. Toward the end the quilt really sagged, I think this was due to the stretching of the flannel back (probably operator issue not stretching). THEN I ran out of backing (insert bad word here).  I swear I checked the dimensions three times. So now I'm trying to decide if I want to fix it and how. I was able to quilt it to the last row - if I cut it off there it wouldn't impact the quilt at all, other than the size. 

   All of this drama was why I was dreading loading a quilt. I think I would be much happier - even though I hate pinning - with a sit-down long arm. I'm going to quilt Forest Friends next. If I continue to have problems I'll probably take the Juki off the frame...maybe. 

   Today starts the 2020 Project Linus Mystery quilt registration. I am so looking forward to this mystery, Lucy's Love Notes, featuring a flamingo.

   Here are my past Project Linus Mystery quilts.

2016 Grace's Get Well Garden

2017 Exploring the World with Ethan (couldn't find a picture of the whole quilt)

2018 Sweet Violet’s Bakery and Confectionery

2020 Quarantine Sew Along - Side-by-Side

   I missed making last year's mystery quilt Logey Bear Leads the Way since I was in the middle of moving so I plan on sewing it along with Lucy's Love Notes. I am so looking forward to making both. 

   The patterns are very detailed with lots of tips, how-to's, and pictures. During the sew-along there is also a video for each step. These projects are perfect for a beginning quilter. There is also a very supportive Facebook group and prizes. If you would like to join in you can sign up at ProjectLinus.Org.

4 comments:

Loris said...

Your Linus quilts all look so fun and cheery :-) I will enjoy seeing Lucy the flamingo come to life. Sorry to hear of the backing woe. I usually measure ok but I can't count the number of blocks etc that I need to save my life. Cracks me up most of the time...you'd think counting to 10 wouldn't be too tricky ;-)

Needled Mom said...

Short backings are such a nightmare. Great job on your Linus quilts. I really like your quarantine quilt too.

Rose said...

I don't know how I am so late coming here...normally I check fairly often just in case you throw in an extra post...but it is me this time and not blogger. Sorry I am late to view...I always look forward to your posts. I love the house quilt and the forest friends...oh, shoot, I love them all. You get so much done!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Have you looked at the wheels and tracks for any lint or threads that might be slowing it down? Just a thought. I hope you figure out the drag issue soon--quilting is supposed to be fun! :o)