Monday, November 30, 2020

No Sewing

   

I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. I had my small family here for dinner. I tried something new, I flattened my turkey (I need new knifes) by removing the backbone and did a semi-dry brine.

Looks weird huh? Sorry, forgot to take the after picture. It was really good and cooked REALLY fast. 14 lb turkey in about 1.5 hours at 350. I was scrambling to finish the rest of the meal. I will definitely do this again.

Isn't this pretty? Turkey enchilada casserole. Great way to use up leftovers. It was really good.

Saturday I supported my (not very local) small businesses.


One of the not so local quilt shops sells fabric and sewing supplies on consignment and from quilter's estate sales, most of the goodies came from there at a crazy low price. 

I haven't touched my sewing machine this past week. I did clean up my sewing area a bit and did a lot of cutting. A few months ago I splurged and bought a Creative Grids Stripology XL ruler. I love this thing.

It is a little awkward to use at first but once you get the hang of it cutting is a breeze.

My mom and a friend of hers gave me a bunch of their fabric. All had been cut into. I cut them up into 10 and 5 inch squares, 2.5 x 5 inch strips, 2.5 inch strips and squares. I've also cut up all the dog coat fabric I got at a garage sale last summer.

I've almost emptied one bin of scraps! The scraps above are not good quality (yes I am a fabric snob) and will be donated somewhere. Below are some of the scraps I'm keeping.

What would you do with over 4 inches of 5 inch squares?


3 comments:

Loris said...

Great job on the turkey. I was going to 'spatchcock' a chicken (with new kitchen shears!) but they didn't have any whole chickens so I just ended up with drumstick and thigh pieces.
I started using my Stripology rulers more again this year. My strips come out a lot more accurate with them.

Rose said...

The kids did some chickens like that...or sort of like that for something a few years ago and they were delicious. I bet you are a wonderful cook.

Always nice to add to the stash...I cannot go to this one quilt shop without going through the scrap bin. A gallon ziploc bag stuffed as full as you can for $5 is not bad. A lot is just crumbs, but there almost always are a few good sized chunks I want.

Rose said...

I was just looking back through...and noticed another pic with the stripology ruler and almost emailed to ask how you like it. I had ordered it today. I was glad to read that you just love it. I have looked at it off and on for a while now.