Monday, December 6, 2021

Green Swirl

 

The green half square triangle swirl is finished! I finished the top in August 2015, I made the HST blocks years before deciding on a pattern.

The top.  Quilted with a large meander.

The pieced back. I used up some really old foliage fat quarters I had in my stash. I used the trimmings from the back to make the quilt binding. I wish I could say I finished my oldest quilt but I can't. I have a flannel flimsy that is older, I just can't decide if I want to use it as a top or a back, so it stays hanging in the closet.

I worked on my Oliver quilt...fire hydrants.

These took a bit of time and paying attention to get them made. I didn't do enough paying attention and cut one of the blocks too short. I didn't fix it. One of the hydrants is about a half inch shorter than the other two. The pattern designer has you sew most of the units oversized then trim them down. By the time I finished all three the "short" one was the same size as the other two.  I'll put the short one in the center.

I volunteered to quilt another person's quilt at the last Quilts for Kids meeting. Smack me up side the head if I ever volunteer again.

The quilt and pattern are very cute but the quality of the sewing is horrible. None of the pinwheels were pressed or squared up before they were sewn into the rows - there are puckers in almost all of them. For about half the rows, the machine tension was bad and the thread was just laying on surface of the fabric. There are patched holes in the fabric (I found another hole and patched it). There were several areas were the edges were not lined up when the seam was sewn and there were gaps in the sewing. 

I seriously thought about taking the whole thing apart, but it isn't my quilt so I don't feel I have right (?? not the right word but I can't think of another) to remake someone else's quilt. I re-enforced seams as much as possible but I didn't take any of the pinwheels apart. The puckers are staying. I'll be loading it onto the frame tomorrow. Wish me luck on the quilting.



2 comments:

Rose said...

Oh, I am so sorry about that quilt...that you trying to be nice and kind got handed a mess. Maybe if you ever think about volunteering to do another ask to see it first and see if you think it is quiltable. And if they object, that is their loss. I would not have taken it apart...not your place.

I will keep this in mind if I ever feel the need to volunteer and quilt for someone.

I like your Swirl quilt...and love the pieced backing.

The fire hydrants are cute.

Needledmom said...

I do not envy that quilting job! Good luck with it. I love the swirl quilt..The fire hydrants are super cute too.