Monday, January 2, 2023

Still Feels Like Sunday

 

To me, and apparently to lots of other people, the week between Christmas and New Year's is a strange one. Lots of things didn't get done and a few squirrels did get done.

The bright star quilt still looks like this. I started quilting it, got about 10 inches across when the thread broke, checked the tension on the back and found lots of puckers in the back. I've never had puckers before. I took out all of the quilting and there it sits.

Bon Appetit with Ash was laid out on the design bed.


And there it sits.

I made the binding for the flannel guild donation quilt, and there it sits.

When I showed the picture of Bella and the contents of Rose's scrap box, what you didn't see were the piles of scraps that I cropped out of the picture. Bella keeps trying to nest in the piles (yes, plural), so I went through them all, including Rose's scraps, and cut them to the sizes I like to save. 


This is two of the three piles; I'd already put the first pile away. Does anyone need strings? I have lots of strings (far box). I'm willing to share.

My squirrel? While ironing and cutting scraps I pulled a couple of Rose's scraps and some very small but perfect match scraps from the sailboat pile to make this little mini.


The picture doesn't do this little 8 x 9 inch quilt justice. My first 2023 finish - I love it!

I've given myself permission to chase as many squirrels as I want this year. Have you heard of Project QUILTING? I've always wanted to participate but never felt like I've had the time. This year I think I'm going to try to make a few. I have two ideas for the first challenge. One idea will be quick and easy to make, the other not so much. It is more of a statement quilt and very different from anything I normally make. Maybe I'll make both.

I've also decided to take a different approach to my 2023 UFO Challenge list. It includes some non-UFOs that I want to get made and out of my quilt queue.


January's number is 3. I have a very old wool applique project that I've decided to split up into smaller wall hangings. I'm not sure how this will work out, but I do know it will never get finished as originally planned.

Welcome 2023! It should be an interesting quilting year.



1 comment:

Rose said...

Wow! You have been busy....I feel like I must be terrible lazy. Bon Appetit is going to be such an interesting quilt. I look forward to seeing it completed.

I am still loving the stars in the quilt...that was so the perfect way to bring it to life.

And that Mini! That is adorable. I love it. The gray flowered fabric I used to make a zippered pouch...the cornerstone fabric was used in a baby quilt. (All but one of my baby quilts have always been very colorful.)

I was in bed reading this post on my phone...I fully intended to just read it quickly but then followed you link and looked there... had to look at the Project Quilting...I think another blogger does it. I have thought about it but I don't know if I could come up with a single idea....my creativity is non-existent, but I sure look forward to see what you do.

As for puckers...I pin basted my crumbs quilt the other day. Due to my knees being on the verge of being really messed up, I can no longer get on the floor to pin baste so have to use the table to layer everything. I used flannel for the backing. And I will say I got it from Joanns..ordered it. Never again. It is pretty...but it is thin...and I could not get it stretched good...so it is puckering as I quilt it. I am hoping when it is washed that no one will know. I am doing slightly wavy lines...I have tried walking foot, now just using regular foot. I am to the point of trying just free motion foot.