Friday, October 9, 2009

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Below is my entry to the Blogger's Quilt Festival.


I played hooky from work one day a few years ago and took a trip to Old Folsom. I also stopped in at the local quilt shop. An older gentleman had come into the shop and left a couple of boxes of fabric and books that were his mother's that he had been storing in his garage for 20 years - he wanted them to go to someone who would use them. The shop could not sell the items and allowed customers to take what ever they wanted. One of the items was a plastic bag full of strip bundles - it looked interesting so I took it home. The woman had begun hand piecing a rail fence square so I decided to continue her pattern. The bundles contained strips she had grouped together in threes, I kept those together also. The fabrics ranged from vintage 30's and 40's fabrics to 60's polyester, silk and upholstery fabrics, I kept all of those in too. The only fabric I added was the sashing and back. I love how it turned out

Click on the link below to to join the Quilt Festival.


15 comments:

beth said...

wow! what a FUN story and great memory. I bet you were thinking of that nice quilter who began that project...how sweet of you to finish it!

Zonnah said...

I really, really like this pattern.

sallgood said...

Great history! I hope you have that on the label. :D

(My In-laws live in Folsom, so I'll have to look for that shop the next time we go visit!

Kathy said...

Your quilt of found strips turned out marvelous. What an assortment of fabrics you had available. I just adore scrappy quilts!

Jan said...

I agree, this is marvelous. I love that you followed thru with the original intent.

Dolly said...

How awesome that you stayed so true to the original quilter's own desires for the fabric !
And what a treasure you now have to show for it !
Congratulations !

AnnieO said...

I agree, following the original quilter's intent was marvelous. It is a bright and happy, kitchen sink quilt that begs for a cuddle up. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story.

Kelli said...

Great story! I love how the blue sashing really sets off the wonderful scrappiness!

Latane Barton said...

I'll bet that old gentleman would be so proud to know that the strips made such a beautiful quilt.

Jocelyn said...

What a sweet story. So glad that you were able to complete the quilt. I am trying to make my way through the quilt festival :-)

Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

Rene' said...

Great quilt. Such a sweet story behind it. So glad that gentleman decided to share the fabric rather than get rid of it Thanks for sharing.

Diane said...

That is a great quilt! I love that you were true to the original intention.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

That must have been a challenge to work with so many different types of fabrics! It turned out great!

Dresden Quilter said...

It is beautiful. I love the blue sashing.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! What a joyful quilt!!! It's color is SO vibrant and FUN. : ) Imagine the smile on that quilter's face and her son too...?! What a good decision to play hooky that day. Your quilt is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.