Sunday, October 18, 2009

Make or Break It

Over the years I found that the quilting design can make or break a quilt. A few years ago I was at a local quilt show, one of the quilts on display was a hand appliqued quilt. The center was a basket with a large flower arrangement, the border was a vine with flowers...all in very soft pastels. The quilting? An all over pantograph medium size stipple, even over the applique. It was so sad, since the colors were so muted, all of that beautiful appliqueing just disappeared into the quilting.

Below are a couple of pictures I took at PIQS of some quilting (hand and machine) that I thought fit the quilts perfectly. As always, my pictures do not do these quilts justice.


Here are a couple of whole cloth quilts that I thought were beautiful.




I am in Ah of machine and hand quilters who can create such wonderful designs. I think they should be given just as much recognition at quilt shows as quilt designers.

No comments: